Sunday 7 August 2011

Now Where Did That Bogey Get To?


Several years ago I treated myself to a day out in London, some sightseeing, a trip to the South Bank, some culture, a refreshing walk along the Thames and an opportunity to break up the monotonous routine of work and home life, but first I had to negotiate the Victoria Line.

Sitting comfortably in the centre of the carriage I avoided eye contact with other passengers, there was a non-descript feel to everyone then at Kings Cross a seven foot African drugs baron marched on to the carriage and stood in front of me scrutinising an advertisement for insurance above my head. He had more than a striking resemblance to Samuel L Jackson yet more menacing, wearing polished cowboy boots, a black polo neck and an expensive beige long coat lined in green fur with cream labels. He looked confidently hard, and almost certainly dealt in class A drugs, held a knife somewhere on his body and possibly also an unlicensed hand gun. He was handsome in a rugged way and would not have thought twice about murdering someone if they got in his way.

As we approached Warren Street I stereotypically assumed his destination was Brixton then to avoid any eye contact I rubbed my face and without any premeditation I decided on impulse to extract an errant bogey from my left nostril. I soon started to roll the extract in a furious manner thus removing all recognisable moisture and leaving a perfectly dry sphere between thumb and forefinger. Having worked through this process a zillion times before I then took aim and flicked the tiny missile to the floor, but I screwed up the trajectory and it landed on the one spot where my life could be put in danger. Yes, it landed on Samuel L Jackson’s lapel. I could only imagine that his lapel was made of Velcro because the bogey took a grip so tight it would have needed a cold chisel to scrape it off. The cream background set off the round ball of mucous to perfection, and it was less than six inches away from his chin!

A woman in a yellow dress looked away as I glanced in her direction to avoid any contact with Samuel L Jackson. It’s possible she had caught sight of the blemish on the lapel, I half expected her to say something like ‘hey Samuel, that fat guy there has just flicked a huge fucking bogey straight on to your label, what are you gonna do about it?’ and of course that would have been curtains for me. With great anti-climax he shuffled off the train at Victoria, one stop before me, and took his trophy with him, no doubt becoming acquainted with my bogey sometime later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment